[Ansteorra] Take a moment to look it up (was Pronunciation)

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Jul 13 10:28:41 PDT 2001

Greetings from Michael Silverhands:

Miranda of Namron wrote:

>      Like any language, there is debate as to the pronunciation in terms of
> historical accuracy, but by no means is one source a basis for fact. For
> those who are interested the following is a web site all with interest may
> find useful. Unlike Mr. Tucker's source, it has a pronunciation more along
> the sound of "th" and "z" combined, which is like "ts".  This site has audio
> files so you can hear these pronunciations and distinguishes it from the "z"
> sound.
>
> A Quick Guide to Old Spanish Pronunciation
> http://ecompass.humnet.ucla.edu/santiago/osppron.html

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply. This is very useful stuff! :-)

>    However, I find it necessary to say that insulting the members on this
> list is neither helpful nor conducive towards what should be an open
> discussion on period Spanish pronunciation.  The assumption made was
> assuming that all those who replied did not know what they were talking
> about when they may have an extensive background or understanding of Spanish
> or its historical context.
>
> Miranda

Assumption that they "did not know what they were talking about", or that they
lacked an "extensive background or understanding of Spanish or its historical
context"? Please re-read the thread and decide for yourself:

"Pardon me, my use of Spanish is very limited but I do know the translation of
"Vaca" and do you really want to use that as a last name? I don't know what the
first word translates too and would hate to butcher the pronounciation of it so
maybe it makes sense with that part in it."

"Isn't that something like "head of the cow" ? Just some trivia from Southwest
History I seem to recall."

"Along those same lines, it was a name of distinction I do believe. Something
about a trail being marked with the skull of a cow. Anyone else remember the
rest of the story?"

"Just out of curiosity... why are you choosing "Cow's Head" as a last name?"

Etc.

I think these posts speak for themselves (and the hundreds like them which we
must endure on this forum). Even 5 minutes spent consulting an online reference
- or a little abstinence from the "Send" button, waiting for an informed
response to the question from someone else - would have made them unnecessary.
Unfortunately, this sort of post is all too common - and that was my point.

I wasn't insulting all the members on this list, or even every one who replied
to the original question. Merely reprimanding the ones who scramble to post a
response even when they have nothing helpful to say. The ones who skew the
"signal to noise" ratio on this list so badly that it's painful to stay
subscribed, even though this is *the* forum where questions and announcements of
general interest to the kingdom are most often posted.

I *do* apologize for suggesting that everyone who does this is conceited. They
may be (probably are) merely thoughtless.

But I don't think it's insulting to be willing to speak up and call a spade a
spade, although I recognize that we live in a society where it has become
increasingly "politically incorrect" to do so. I was willing to speak out and
say "if you don't know the answer, please either take a moment to look it up, or
else be quiet and wait for someone who does know the answer to post it". I was
willing to accuse those who won't of being too lazy (or at least impatient) to
look it up, and too conceited (or at least thoughtless) to remain silent. I am
still willing to do so.

In any case, I've (hopefully) made my point, and you've made yours - that you
(and presumably others) were made uncomfortable by my post. I apologize for
making you (and those others who contribute in a positive way to the discussions
on these lists) uncomfortable; such was not my intent. However, I offer *no*
apology for making the "noise" generators uncomfortable. If in fact I succeeded
in doing so, I will count it a victory: that was *precisely* the intent of my message.

I suggest that any further *public* discussion along these lines would merely
constitute a further degradation of the "signal to noise" ratio on this list. I
welcome *private* discussion, if any feel inclined to continue. My address is <michaelt at neosoft.com>.

Respectfully yours,
Michael