[Ansteorra] Take a moment to look it up (was Pronunciation)

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Jul 13 13:03:42 PDT 2001

Jane Sitton wrote:

> The nature of the medium in which we are discussing this is such that an
> interesting topic (and even many un-interesting ones) starts other threads.
> I fear you are fighting a losing battle in attempting to dissuade people
> from this behavior.

You are probably right. But sometimes you have to try, even when you know the
cause is probably hopeless. I take chivalry and courtesy very seriously, despite
what some might think or say. And I believe that being willing to be the one who
speaks out, and being willing to "fade the heat" afterwards, is part of that.
Part of the ceremony of elevation to Peerage (Knight, Pelican, or Laurel) speaks
about being willing to make yourself a target. That's very true, in my
experience. Of course, it's a fine line between "noble target" and "irritating
butthead". ;-)

> My personal pet peeve is all the "me, too" responses
> and people who fail to edit the mailing list info from the bottom, so that
> posts which have been responded to numerous times end up with 16 copes of
> "Ansteorra mailing list     Ansteorra at ansteorra.org
> that is my cross to bear, I suppose.
>
> Thank you for your considered remarks.  I will endeavor not to hit "send"
> without first doing a bit of research myself, for I, too, have in the past
> sent out blanket requests.

Me, too. ;-)

> Amicalement,
> Madelina de Lyndesaye