[Ansteorra] Role Playing Was

Peer2 Peer2 at email.msn.com
Sun Jun 17 09:03:23 PDT 2001

Ack! Flashbacks!

Okay everybody, think back. I know it's happened to us all . . .

You were standing in a tent at some event trying not to overtly eavesdrop on
a small group of newbies and their semi-veteran Scadian guide. The guide
pointed at someone walking by and said "That's Lord Joe" or whatever. The
newbies went into an instant frenzy of discussion.

        "He's a Lord?"
        "But he looks too young to be ninth level."
        "He must be some kind of super-fighter."
        "Doesn't look like a fighter at all."
        "Must be a wizard."
        "Yeah. Wizards can be tricky that way."

And you tried not to laugh as the Guide started explaining the way thing
really work but just managed to confuse them even more.

So the SCA combines aspects of roleplaying and true history. If it helps a
newbie to think of things as a big RPG, use that to our advantage. It'll
give him a basis from which to grasp the rest of the SCA. They can be weaned
off the RPG mentality later.

-- Ld. Cedric Einarsson
-- 9th Level Texas Hippie Viking Redneck