[Ansteorra] Re: lifestyles - SCA as "reality" vs. "a hobby"

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Tue Jun 19 15:38:25 PDT 2001

Two thoughts that I danced around earlier but didn't really say outright:

First: Baron Bors is right on the money when he points out there are those who
have lost sight of why we do this, and have become obsessed with what we do
(rather than who we are). Just as there are those for whom the weekly showing of
The Rocky Horror Picture Show becomes the entire focus of their lives (dressing
up for it, singing along with the movie, thinking and talking of nothing else
the rest of the week, etc.), there are those who have fallen into the same trap
regarding the SCA. As I said, the way to avoid this trap is to keep always
firmly in mind: "It doesn't pay the rent." (Thank you, Sir William of Weir.)

Second: I talked about ways to actually become more noble, honorable, etc., (as
opposed to merely acting that way) by "living the dream". I said that you could
use the trappings (belt, badge, coronet, whatever) as mnemonics to help you get
there. I mentioned in passing that being around others who practiced these
ideals would help you achieve them yourself. *That* is actually the most
important part of my earlier message, and I'm sorry not to have made a bigger
deal of it. When a group of us get together, and by mutual agreement (spoken or
unspoken) we all try to be representatives of nobility, honor and courtesy... it
creates an atmosphere where *everyone* can grow towards those ideals, and have a
wonderful time doing it. You don't have to have any titles, medallions, or even
great garb to participate... all you need is to contribute in a positive way,
like joining a tantric drum circle, or a barn raising, or a dance. But, that
atmosphere is a fragile and ephemeral thing. It only takes a few screeching
baboons to break the circle.

Can this be simple escapism? Certainly... but it can also be a vehicle for
personal growth, and happiness beyond that which a 9-5 x 5 life might otherwise
bring. Without the environment we collectively create, you might never get the
chance to see the great nobility in others or within yourself. (How often in
your "mundane" life do you get to lead a charge or make a stand against
impossible odds, just for the glory and honor of it?)

Is change/distraction/destruction good? Certainly... that's how growth occurs.
Is arbitrary change/distraction/destruction of someone else's joy good? I bet
you can answer that one.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands