[Ansteorra] Size of Crown Tournaments

Sean Gulick sean at ig.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 20 06:07:47 PDT 2001

I would agree with that given that in the East I never saw a crown of less than probably 50 and saw some that had 125.  However it is also a function of custom.  In some kingdoms everyone healthy fighter is expected to fight crown even if they
don't really want to win it.  Other kingdoms only want those who are serious about being king/queen, have the time, have the money, etc., to enter crown.  East was the former and Atlantia the latter, of course, customs change ...  Finally size
of crowns can be influenced by schedules.  In the East and Atlantia the Fall crowns were always bigger because coronation occurred in April and whoever won Fall crown was King/Queen at Pennsic.  Here with Fall Crowns resulting in a Gulf War
King/Queen and Spring Crowns resulting in a Pennsic King/Queen there is more chance for balance.  Of course in both my previous Kingdoms one is heir or crown for ~11 months!  Personally, I have found in Ansteorra a really nice balance in who
enters crown, the resulting size of our crown tournaments, and the length of total time as heir and crown (recent adjustments not withstanding).

Just my $.02

Slainte,
Gideon MacLeod

GuyLestran at aol.com wrote:

> I think that is more a function of the kingdom your from then what is actually going on at the moment.  There are some kingdoms that have over a 100 enter and others where it's 20-40 ror even less like say in Dragenvalt where it's like 5-10.

'Honor the past, live the present, create the future'
Sean Sandifer Gulick, PhD

PGI Postdoctoral Fellow
Institute for Geophysics
University of Texas