[Ansteorra] Groups Original Names

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon Jun 25 10:39:12 PDT 2001

>A short history of the beginning of Northkeep
>
>Lady Agnes de Saint Michel moved to Tulsa in the spring of 1976, and put up
>SCA flyers. The first Newcomers' Revel was held on May Day. There were revels
>with her and people who came and went. Alanna of Caer du Pard wrote to Lady
>Agnes in the autumn through winter of 1976-1977. William Blackfox and a few
>others came and went.
>During the First Populace Meeting, Officers were chosen as follows: Seneschal
>- Alanna of Caer du Pard, Knight Marshall and Arts and Sciences Minister,
>Thomas Redhawk, Herald, and Hospitaler, Agnes de Saint Michel. The Name
>chosen for the group was  Nord-aus-das Strom (North of the Storm), and
>appeared in the Sable Star, Principality Newsletter in 1977.
>
>Great thread!
>
>Sigen

Since we are going into brief histories here is Moonschadowe's

In late fall of 1978 a number of people were introduced to the SCA by
William Blackfox when he attended the first B.E.A.S.T. Wargaming convention
held at OSU.  In March 1979, a number of interested people (from Stillwater
and Ponca City) attended the first Middle-Atenveldt (Queen Willow's) war
held just north of Tulsa.  In April some more of us attended the Medieval
Fair in Norman.  In late April or early
May (I can't remember the exact day) Lady Melissande Dragonstar of Clan
Silverthorne and Lord Frederick von Sternwald came up and explained to us
the process of forming a SCA shire.  We voted to create a group including
just the Stillwater area (the rules on land claims were different in those
days) and started working on the paperwork that day.  Since in those days
there was no status of incipient we were styled an "acting shire" until the
board could approve us.  We held our first revel in July and were graced
with the attendance of Their New  Majesties Ansteorra, John and
Willow.  None of the original Moonschadowe members live in the Shire
anymore (if memory serves), but Haldane (who was up in Ponca City in High
School when we formed the shire and moved down about a year later) would be
the oldest remaining member.  One of the most interesting pieces of trivia
was the proposed original name of the shire, Moonshadow, Land of the Crying
Wind.  Of course the heralds immediately told us to shorten it as it had to
many letters.  So we voted to go with Shire of Mona Sceaduw (Moon shadow in
old English) rather than Shire of the Land of the Crying Winds.

Burke

Sir Burke