lifestyles .... RE: [Ansteorra] Lighten up and Where has all the fun gone.

Yeates, Jay jyeates at idmp.com
Tue Jun 19 13:27:21 PDT 2001

- -----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-admin at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Susan O'Neal

* At 11:04 AM 6/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>synchronicity at work ... self and V.SirSeanMF were discussing
>similar matters last night at our weekly bar meet, as they relate to
>SCA, pagan, and "other" similar sub-cultures ... and the one of the
>main questions we were mulling over was - when does a inclusive
>sub-culture evolve/devolve into a exclusive cult, and what is the
>mechanism for this ???
>
>onwards ....

Wow, this just fits in with so much I am dealing with and have been
reflecting on.  If you don't mind learning an incredible amount about
me, I
can send you a missive I just wrote today that deals with this.

I also have the link for the cult checklist, I will try to find it
later
and mail it to you,

Yeates:
seems to be on a lot of peoples minds, from the levels of private
email i recieve on the subject and in the public postings
organization wide ... and such concerns are not just being voiced
in/about the SCA.

last night we were discussing scadia and two other major sub-cultures
that draw from the same base and often have a high "crossover" level
- - the local pagan sub-cult/ure and another i won't go into (since
it's mention always "gets the monkeys jumping" ... grin) that are all
sharing parallel evolutionary problems ...

one idea that was broached, is there some inherent limitation on the
growth of social organizations past which they are no longer viable
and begin to decline due to their own popularity and/or losing touch
with the mainstream realtime ???? .... i know, thats a stretch for
the SCA (grin) ... but if you think about it it makes sense, the
farther away from that "realworld" the more insular & isolated the
organization, the more people see it as place of "refuge", the easier
to fall into isolation & "siege mentality" (and not from the
perspective of the flingers, from the POV of the flung-upon) or the
us/them mindset and the unbalance such things bring  ....

... looking forward to some marvelous discussions at our semi-regular
potluck / BBQ this weekend.

'wolf