[Ansteorra] Elfsea & group histories

Aunt Dwen auntdwen at us.inter.net
Sat Jun 30 23:04:25 PDT 2001

Greetings from Baroness Ceridwen:

    I've been enjoying the thread about the history behind names for groups
in this fair land.  As we fast approach another coronation, it seems like a
good time to review the history of Ansteorra and her many local traditions.
I offer this rememberance of the formation of the Shire of the Wastelands
for your amusement.

    The Shire of the Wastelands (Enid/Fairview, OK) was formed in Spring of
1993.  The original intention was to become a Canton of the Barony of
Wiesenfeuer, but since our borders were not contiguous, we were advised by
the BOD and the Crown that we had to become a Shire.  The name "Wastelands"
is based on a cartoon of the late Master William Blackfox and the perception
that northwest Oklahoma is somewhat...barren.

    At the time the Shire of Wiesenfeuer began its quest to become a Barony,
HL. Malaki was its seneschal.  In a conversation with then Crown Mikael of
Monmouthshire, Malaki suggested the boundaries of the barony include all
territory west of I-35 and north of I-40 (basically the northwest quadrant
of OK).  While, for obvious reasons, this did not come to pass, Master
Blackfox immortalized the exchange in a cartoon with the punchline of, "A
Waste is a terrible thing to mind."

    The populace of the Incipient Shire of the Wastelands, knowing full well
that we grow the wheat that feeds the world, embraced the concept of wheat
for our device (three crossed golden shafts of wheat on a blue field). The
Gleaner became the name for our newsletter in honor of all the huge
"Gleaner" combines that come through here on harvest.  Baron Don James
Navarre found a sickle which became the stand for our Shire's device, and
for many years our Arts and Sciences competition was "Wheat in Any Medium."

    I hope this glimpse at our past has been of interest.  I hope others
will continue to tell the story of the evolution of their groups.

Blessings,

Baroness Ceridwen Tir Gwastraff
House Wizard's Keep
Chronicler of the Wastelands