ANST - ansteorra V2 #456

michael godwyn at texas.net
Wed Mar 21 14:57:38 PST 2001

Greetings to All my comrades in Arms,

I want to respond to this portion of Avery's posting:

  >1. The projectiles.  Baldar blunts and Thistle missiles hit a lot
harder
  >than the modified Marklands.  They have more mass and do not give. I
also
  >saw someone that had a modified markland that they had tool dipped
and it
  >had maybe 1/8 inch of compression.  I would not want to be hit by
that.

I am the designer/maker of the modified markland arrows you mentioned. I
appreciate and welcome any and all commentary on these points (as these
are the first arrows I have ever made), feedback is the only way I can
improve the design.

I also want to add a few "points" (pun intended) about the design and
construction:

The Heads are padded with two 1 1/2" discs of blue closed-cell foam (of
the sleeping mat variety), topped with one 1" disc of foam.  The
assembly is covered in a single layer of strapping tape and one layer of
vinyl (electrical) tape, and then dipped. Twice.

The compression is less than soft foam, but FAR greater than any
commercially available blunt I saw on the field (or felt in my thigh, or
chest...)

I experienced a significant lessening of "bounce back" with these arrow
points.  Basically they hit a target, recoiled about four to six inches,
and dropped.  They never spun off a target as I witnessed several
commercial blunts do.

I received several positive comments on these and was asked to post a
"how to" on the net by several archery marshals, including those
marshals of our opponents.

And finally, one negative note:
Apparently these arrow points can be confounded by a white tabard with a
red pale. Especially if this tabard is worn with a red or white belt.
;-)

But Seriously, hardly anybody "called" them on the field, so I do not
think they hit too hard.

Mstr Godwyn Alfricson, Bjornsborg