ANST - Celtic History Question

Carolyn Smith Pennington mara_of_rede at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 14:39:00 PST 2001

Maria, read The Tain, by Patric Collum. It gives
wonderful descriptions of Celtic armour,
clothing, food, manners, customs, etc., BEFORE
the Norse.... According to the Tain bo Cuilagne,
Cuchulain wore a thick leather apron (a kidney
belt!) with (I think, my copy was stolen) chain
mail over it.
Remember that the Celts hired out as mercenaries
all over the world, a long time before our time
periods, and long after!
Mara

--- Christine Huse <maria_elfsea at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Buenis Dias!
>
> There is a discussion going on with a few
> freinds of mine. I tend to
> disagree with them.
>
> Did the Celts use armour? I would have thought
> that they did. My reasoning
> (this is just a guess, as I am not familiar
> with Celtic history)? There were
> plenty of Anglo/ Saxons to steal armour from
> once they were killed. Why
> wouldn't they have stolen it from the dead
> bodies? I find it very difficult
> to believe that someone would deliberatley go
> into a war un armoured.
>
> Can anyone answer this question and give me
> some docs on it to prove my
> point (and that I'm not making it up)??
>
> Gracias!
>
> In Service,
> Lady Maria de Vasquez
>
> Elfsea's Hospitaler and Chamberlain
>
> http://mariadevasquez.homestead.com/index.html

=====
HL Mara of Rede
Barony of Elfsea,Kingdom of Ansteorra
Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nova/9561/

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."--Damon Runyon