ANST - Pennsic Gift Baskets

Afan - Central Regional Seneschal grrhine at swbell.net
Fri Mar 30 06:27:49 PST 2001

Greetings unto the populace of Ansteorra,

It is that time once again, when Their Royal Highnesses  are
preparing for their upcoming rein of our most stellar Kingdom.  As
you may be aware, shortly after stepping up, they will travel to
distant lands, to help our friends at Pennsic War. Traditionally, at
war, Ansteorra gives wonderful gifts to the  Royalty of the Knowne
World... this Pennsic War should be no  different, hence my
missive.

Her Highness has asked that I coordinate the gift baskets  for the
Leaders of the Knowne World. For Gulf Wars, this task falls  upon
the baronies of our fair Kingdom. In order to ease the burden  of the
baronies, and to showcase the vast talents of Ansteorra’s
populace, Her Highness has asked that I appeal to the general
populace as well as the cantons,  shires, colleges, and
strongholds of Ansteorra for this task. This  is a great opportunity,
for all Ansteorran artisans, to share the  beauty they create, while
making Ansteorra proud.

Her Highness has asked that a few guidelines be set forth.

  1.Nocandles or soap: When handmade, these items are lovely
    gifts.  However, since most gift baskets traditionally contain
    candles and  soap, even the handmade beauty loses its
    appeal. So please, be  creative.

2.Liquid gifts (cordials, wine, etc.) are lovely, but need serious
consideration. These items are difficult to transport, and will most
assuredly get hot before delivery. If you wish to donate these
things, please be aware that they must be very tightly sealed (I
would suggest a good sealing wax [not paraffin] on top of whatever
cap you are using), and well packed for travel. Again, they will be
hot before delivery. If the heat will spoil it, it is probably not a good
idea.

	If you know an artisan who does not have access to this list,
please pass this information, as well as my contact information
along to them. Besides my contact information, I have included a
list of gift ideas, for your convenience. These are  just suggestions,
so again, be creative. If you have other ideas you are  unsure of
please contact me. I  am thrilled to have an opportunity to
brainstorm with you.

Thank you all, very much, for your time, and effort. With your help,
Ansteorra’s star will, once again, shine as a beacon of beauty and
excellence, throughout the Knowne World.

In  Service to the Dream and its Dreamers,
LadyAfan ferch Elystan
PennsicGift Basket Coordinator

  Contactinformation
Afanferch Elystan
(GwenRhine)
5925Martha Dr.
Watauga,TX 76148
e-mail:grrhine at swbell.net
phone:817-498-6847

  Listof gift ideas  (This list was passed to me, and I believe was a
    list of some items that were given at another Pennsic War.)

  Tablelinens
pillows
periodlooking coffee mugs
An  illuminated page from a period book
handknitted mittens
necklacesmade of semiprecious stones
handmadeglass bottles
crochetedlap warmers
poucheswith tablet-woven edges
a   children's activities book about knights
wine
gloves
a   full apron for a cook
tabletwoven trim
jewelry
magnifyingglasses with a nice handles
Damasknapkins
Basketcloths
A   full set of hand-turned wooden feast gear
Hand-madetassels,
Champleve'medallions of the Kingdom's arms.
a   bag painted with the Kingdom's arms,
big turned wooden candlesticks from Hobby Lobby,
chipnecklaces,
handmade paper
a   hand made ocarina
longdistance gift cards,
beanie-babydragons,
silvervases,
sandalwoodfans
a   soapstone box and candleholders,
boo-boomedicine,
bathsalts
trim.
paintedwall hangings in Celtic motifs
Honeymead
Herbalcough remedy
A   pair of vambraces
a   necklace of coral and bone
yardageof damask brocade
a   selection of various trims
woodenchests
napkinspainted with the arms,
somereally spiffy jewelry pouches
extralong wooden hangers
an  extra long garment bag in kingdom colors
belts
Basketsfilled with fruit, cheese, and bread; coffee, tea, and cocoa;
    snack  foods, bottles of water, and other practical items,
    obviously intended for  use *during* the war.
Basketsfull to the brim with things *someone* was likely to have
    forgotten at home: toothpaste, toothbrushes, an alarm clock, a
    coffeepot,  tea and coffee, soap, shampoo, etc.
bathoils
longdistance calling cards
stamps
stationarywith the new King and Queen's name and address
Big plastic bucket w/supplies for Minister of Children – crayons,
    paints,  Popsicle sticks, etc.
littleglass jars with various dried/fresh herbs or honey.
Crowns*never* have enough kingdom heraldry color coordinated
    dinner napkins.
handmadecake of hand lotion,
handmadebruise balm
embroideredpouches
dresshandkerchiefs
freshwaterpearl necklaces
Givingedibles can be a bad idea - they tend to get shut into boxes
    for  travel and forgotten about.
Gettingpotables is always nice (even if the Crown doesn't drink it
    gives  them the opportunity to pay their entourage *really
    well.*)
Hoodsin kingdom colors are really cool!
Crownssure get a lot of sets of matching goblets.
Batterypowered hand-held fans, socks, little chemical hand-
    warmer  packets to go in your gloves on chilly nights, tiny
    flashlights, etc....
Canvastote bags
Material(esp white for veils/shirts)
Feastgear
Artificialsinew
DuctTape
Embroideryfloss
Needles
Gesso
Wood
Bookson art in the Middle Ages
Embroideryhoops
A   belt blank
Bookson heraldry
Bookson armor
A   seam-ripper with the little light on the end
lanterns
Goodpaper (ask for 'elephant paper' at a paper shop)
A   piece of good leather
Paintbrushes (ten bucks can get the good ones rather than the
    cruddy  ones)
A   length of trim
A   length of lace
A   basket
Someostrich plumes
Somepheasant feathers
A   Nine-men Morris game
Dice
niceperiod looking buckles
Rivetsfor armor
A   strap-cutter
A   rawhide mallet
A   brick of beeswax
A   hydrometer
A   wine thief
A   package of corks
Patterningpaper
Bookson brewing or vinting
Campstools
Decksof renaissance style cards
A   yeast culture
Periodcookbooks
Buttons
Hooksand eyes
Goodthread
Someantler
A   cows horn
A   yard or two of buckram
Tracingpaper
Blanktapes
Brewerslogs
Carvinglinoleum
Drawknives
Rattan
Some550 cord
Tentstakes
Bannerpoles
Seedsfor different herbs
Lampoil
Beads/Pearls
cloaks,
paintedbanners and "tapestries"
smallbinders or booklets in which to list gifts given These binders
    can  have embroidered, painted or leather-worked covers put
    on them.
periodbelt findings,
periodtable ware,
antlerbuttons,
bone/bronzeneedles,
hand-spunsilk or wool thread,
smallyardages of brocade that can be used as trim.
award insignia

In Service,
Lady Afan ferch Elystan
Central Regional Seneschal