[Ansteorra] RE: [Ansteorra-announce] ALEXANDRIAN SYMPOSIUM 4: FO

Karen Moon karenmoon at msn.com
Mon May 7 17:30:34 PDT 2001

Greetings Lady Arabella and others,

Alexandrian Symposia are designed to promote scholarship and research, and the dissemination of that research on a fairly regular basis.  All class proposals are reviewed by the Alexandrian Company to make sure that good sources are used and up-to-date information is given.  (I'm pleased to say we haven't had to say "no" to any classes proposed at any symposia so far.)  For reasons of comfort, lack of persona interaction in most class-room situations, and to encourage the participation of non-SCA scholars and instructors, modern clothing is allowed.  You may wear SCA costume if you like, but it's optional.  Mainly, as Mst. Gunnora previously posted, an Alexandrian Symposium is a chance to examine a single broad topic in depth.

The unofficial list of classes so far includes: Lent -- it's History and Observances; Traveling on Its Stomach -- Food on Military Campaigns; Partying with the Queen -- Elizabeth I on Progress; Food & Feasting in the Viking Age; and many other cool and interesting subjects.

And how can you participate, you ask?  Come to the Symposium, attend classes and enjoy yourself.  Learn stuff your history teacher never told you about.  Heck, learn stuff your history teacher probably didn't want you to know.  Learn things that will make persona-play more fun and interesting, get ideas for events and activities, discover that history and research doesn't have to be dry and boring, but can be fascinating, exciting, even titillating.

Don't see any classes that tickle your fancy so far?  Or is there some subject (related to food and festival) you've always wondered about, and wanted to know more?  Then please write me and suggest further possibilities.  You can also write with suggestions for future Symposia topics, or even just to ask questions.

Hope this has helped.

Mari