[Ansteorra] Ansteorran Gardeners & Herbalists -- Advice Needed!

Karen Moon karenmoon at msn.com
Wed May 23 19:14:47 PDT 2001

Greetings all!

At King's College I am presenting a class called Period Plants for Ansteorran Gardens, during which I will do my utmost to instruct and advise interested parties on how to create and maintain a successful and beautiful garden of historic, period plants.  I am planning grand things, and may even accomplish them since I actually have an early start. ;-)

However, I would ask the help of those in our wide and wonderous kingdom who are lovers of plants and gardens, herbs and flowers, roses and brambles, even if your love is usually only a fatal attraction; for the plant, that is.  Texas and Oklahoma are not only large states, but have a variety of climate zones and micro-climates.  San Antonio/Bjornsborg is one of those odd places (stop snickering, let me continue) where several environments collide -- thus I have information and experience on gardening in Hill Country, blackland prairie and even coastal plains soils.  Still, the lands and climes of San Antonio are not those of Bonwicke, or Namron, or Stargate or La Marche Savauge.

Please, if you live and garden in a different area and would like to talk about your experiences -- successes and failures -- please contact me.  It doesn't matter if you don't think you've ever grown period plants (you probably have and don't even know it), e-mail me anyway.  If you garden in containers, that's ok, that's period too.  I would love as much information as I can get, and will credit all sources in my handout.

Please e-mail me directly at karenmoon at msn.com.

My sincere thanks,

Mari ferch Rathyen, OL
Bjornsborg, Ansteorra