[Ansteorra] RE: [Ansteorra-announce] ALEXANDRIAN SYMPOSIUM 4: FOOD AND FESTIVAL

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Mon May 7 12:12:30 PDT 2001

lady Arabella asked:
>Oh gracious Mistress Mari,
>Could you explain to our newer members of this forum, what is an
>Alexandrian >Symposium?

Since it'll probably be a few hours before Mari gets to a computer where she
can respond, I'll be glad to explain.

A group of folks in Ansteorra who all were into doing research and teaching
and encouraging others to improve their research and teaching got together
once upon a time.  It so happened to start with that these were Laurels.
And they came up with the neat idea to try to put together symposia on a
level similar to academic symposia hosted by colleges and universities.

Out of this effort was born the Alexandrian Company, which is now a group of
various folks, Laurels and not, all who thing research is neat and teaching
is good. The name was selected in honor of St. Catherine of Alexandria, the
patroness of libraries, scholars, and philosophers.

The members of the Alexandrian Company will periodically sponsor a themed
symposium.  In the past we've done:

Women in the Middle Ages
Death in the Middle Ages
Religion in the Middle Ages

Proceedings are available for prior symposia if you missed one.  Contact
Lady Radegunde of Tours <cternus at texas.net> for pricing and ordering.

The upcoming symposium will be on "Food and Festivals".

To learn more about the Alexandrian Company and past symposia, see our
website at:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/alexandrians/

::GUNNORA::

Proud member of the Alexandrian Company -- gee, I feel like a credit card
commercial!