[Ansteorra] Electronic publishing

Nathan Sullivan bandorn at swbell.net
Thu May 31 13:03:50 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sluggy" <slugmusk at linuxlegend.com>
To: <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 11:06 AM
Subject: [Ansteorra] Electronic publishing

> Another problem with the PDF format is more technical, dealing with the
> compression and display of artwork covers and such. Being a bit of a
resolution
> purist, I found that the default graphic display options compromised too
much of
> the detail in the cover art for The Scarlet Letter. Changing the options
> recovered the detail, but at a cost in filesize, making the file quite a
bit
> larger. This would result in a longer download time for modem users. In
any
> case, the PDF filesizes were typically only 5-10% of the Publisher files,
often
> 15-20MB with a high resolution scan of a detailed drawing for the cover.

I've had the same problem in regard to image compression.  A good fix for
this is a new image type called lurawave.  www.luratech.com.  Its pretty
cheap(the lurawave image compressor is free I believe) and there are plugins
for Adobe and Internet Explorer and Netscape to make it viewable.

Please check out the website and read about the technology before you
dismiss it.