[Ansteorra] Re: Electronic publishing

Sluggy slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Thu May 31 15:13:35 PDT 2001

Karie Mitchell wrote:

> Perhaps the electronic version could be "text-only" for now?  I know that
> wouldn't be as nice, but if you could get a reduced price for an e-version,
> some might sacrifice the "pretties" to have it sent regularly.

There is much merit to that thought. The reports/missives, officer contact
information and the kingdom calendar all lend themselves to text-only
publication. The balance of any given issue is at least partly graphic in
nature, most importantly event announcments and the maps therein. In the June
issue, there are 36 pages of information that is strictly printed, including
event announcements without graphics. Of the remaining pages, 9 including the
cover had graphics, usually maps and at least one commercial advertisement.

It is very important to realize that the chronicler generally receives event
announcements in camera ready form rather than as text, so it's very difficult
to fairly include any event announcements in a list of text-only material. As
part of policies supporting an electronic version of the Blackstar, there could
be a requirement to submit a duplicate of any event announcement desired to be
in the electronic version in text form.

BTW, the pages in the back of the Blackstar are in 6pt print and would represent
a LOT of printed information in e-mail form.

Sluggy!