[Ansteorra] Electronic publishing

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Thu May 31 18:48:58 PDT 2001

Sluggy wrote:

> Karie Mitchell wrote:
>
> > >One that I personally favor is unbundling the membership from the
> > >three we have now) and making the Kingdom newsletter, TI, and all >other
> > >publications subscription based.
> >
> > That does sound like a reasonable idea.
>
> I agree that separating the BlackStar subscription from membership would be a
> great way to solve the problem, especially for the long term. This would allow
> the actual cost of the newsletter to be recovered without depending on
> fundraising. I suspect, however, that SCA corporate might be resistant to such a
> change because the other kingdoms don't seem to have this problem. It would be
> interesting to find out if other kingdom newsletters are indeed facing similar
> shortfalls and if so, what their solutions have been.
>
> > I am also interested in learning if we could go to an electronic copy of the
> > Kingdom newsletter.  I don't know what problems there would be with such a
> > thing, but it seems that it would help with the postage and printing issues
> > we are having now.  If those of us who have more knowledge about such
> > matters would help the discussion of an "e-newsletter" to help those of us
> > who are not as "literate" I think a few of us would be very grateful.
>

> Even with these quite addressable problems, the real problem with an electronic
> version will be the maintenance of the subscription list. Not only would there
> need to actually be two subscription lists (one for each version of the
> newsletter), an email list of paying subscribers is difficult to administer.
> People are sometimes forced to change email addresses with little or no notice.
> Email is easy to delete inadvertently and then how do to regulate the sending of
> extra copies in such cases?

> Lord Robert of Slugglen, Chronicler Loch Ruadh
> b.k.a. Sluggy!

If the newsletter is seperated from the membership, why would you want
to maintain a subscription list for the E-version?

Have two versions of the Newsletter, the paper one with all the nifty
artwork, cartoons, etc..
And the E version.  No artwork, just maps.  No cartoons.  Contact #'s
would be a link to the Kingdom site.
Many of the information sections (Reports from marshall, treasurer,
etc.) could be a few lines and a link to a permanant file on the
Kingdom site.
Advertisers could have direct links to thier sites (Possibly discount
rates to advertisers who buy a standard ad that runs for a year,
minimum, and ONLY appears in the E-version.  Could easily pay all the
costs for the site connection.)
All copy right and Licensing issues could be resolved with a little
care and a policy statement.

David Gallowglass

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access