[Ansteorra] newcomer thanks

Mr. and Mrs. Fryday fryday at swbell.net
Tue Nov 20 10:55:05 PST 2001

I also am new to this game. I do however realize that this is an honor based
society. This means that until you prove yourself dishonorable you word is
taken as truth when it comes to rank and participation in activities. That
should be enough for us. Knight hood may have been restricted to those whom
could own and field a mount in period time. For us to limit it in such a way
now would not make Knighthood more noble. It would only serve to allow
anyone with a horse to aspire to knighthood. Now-a-days you do not have to
have a lot of money to own a horse and learn to ride it. Many impoverished
people have land and animals. For you to truly understand what it takes to
be a Knight I would suggest that you take to the field, train beside those
you would restrict from knighthood due to lack of a mount, see how much
time, honor, and experience these men have put into their activities. Lastly
I would say that the main difference in a Knight and a Master of Arms are
the duties each take upon themselves and the differences in allegiances
between the two. No matter how you look at it, both Knights and Masters have
proven their worth in combat on the field. I will not prescribe to the
belief that one is better than another nor would I tell the farmer with a
horse that he is a Knight just because the Master can't ride.

Gassion de Beaumarchais