[Ansteorra] Period furs- long

Alexandria Doyle dragonlair at wireweb.net
Wed Nov 28 16:57:17 PST 2001

> These examples of a slickish white fur *could* be a
> depiction of rabbit but I find it unlikely due to the remarkable fragility
> of rabbit skin on the whole and the implication of status that ermine in the
> white brings.

In the inventories of Queen Elizabeth, there are records of rabbit fur
being used for linings and trimming for her gowns.  Sable, ermine and
varieties of rabbit were the most common, also used were mink and
squirrel, with lettice, lamb and wolf used infrequently.  There is also
mention of sable being used for tippets which were worn around the neck
and shoulders.
Alexandria