[Ansteorra] Period furs- long

Alexandria Doyle dragonlair at wireweb.net
Thu Nov 29 16:57:56 PST 2001

> > In the inventories of Queen Elizabeth, there are records of rabbit fur
> > being used for linings and trimming for her gowns.  Sable, ermine and
> > varieties of rabbit were the most common, also used were mink and
> > squirrel, with lettice, lamb and wolf used infrequently.  There is also
> > mention of sable being used for tippets which were worn around the neck
> > and shoulders.
>
> Thanks for the info, Alexandria.
>
> But what is a "lettice"? I don't think it is something you put
> in your salad... :-)
>
> Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net

uhm, it's a beastie with a really nice fur?  Sorry, I haven't a clue and
the resources I have don't have any information regarding them.  I seem
to recall seeing the name in a period cookbook, but of course I can't
find it now.  I tried a web search and it seems this is a really popular
lady's name, it's period even (see Lettice Knolly), but no matter how
ruthless Queen Elizabethan may have been, I don't think it's likely that
she was wearing the skin of some woman named Lettice...

Alexandria