[Ansteorra] How period to be

Sean Hertzberg s_hertzberg at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:27:53 PST 2001

I have to disagree here.  We actually very rarely use periodd manners.  If
that were the case, challenges could only be issued to those of equal rank,
women would have a MUCH different place in the group, and I would have to
try and burn several of my Papist friends for being heretics.  And that does
not even begin to bring up the reaction of a proper Englishman to meeting a
Mongol or a Moor...

What usually happens in the SCA is common curtesy...derived from a Victorian
interpretation of what is proper conduct.

As for look...we have everything from t-tunics and jeans to fully realized
historical reproduction clothing.

Camps are the same...and NO ONE expects you to be perfect right away...it
takes time.  One of my first events I was accosted by someone telling me
that me t-tunic and sweats with cowboy boots was "ruining" her dream and how
dare I look like that...then she turned and went into her motorhome that was
parked in the middle of the event.

The main point is to try, and be patient.  Don't get discouraged and ask for
help.  There are tons of people who have knowledge and are more than willing
to share.

Avery Shaw
Bryn Gwlad

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they
are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him
kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and
kill him."
            ~ Mark Twain