[Ansteorra] newcomer question

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Tue Nov 6 18:59:13 PST 2001

    What is 'period' is subjective to each individual that
participates.  As a newcomer you will discover your comfort level and
your interests.  Not everyone is into being extremely period (and most
of those who are I have found that the authenticity they practice
applies only to their own activities, and do not judge others who play
differently), and the interests you pursue will most likely govern your
level of authenticity.  For example, I have found the majority of the
members of the rapier community try very hard to make a good appearance
in fine garb, as it is very hard to swash that buckle in a ratty tunic
and jeans!  Do not worry about what is appropriate, just look around you
and see what catches your eye...not just appearances, but activities.
You will discover what you love to do, or how to apply what you already
love to an SCA environment.  Then you will want to dress, act and
support the the thing you love in a way that works for you.
    If you see something you want, ask people who have/wear/use it how
they made it or where they got it.  Everyone will be glad to help.
'Possession envy' is a great motivator!
    Learn and enjoy!

HE Catrin ferch Gwilym