[Ansteorra] newcomer thanks

Brown, Charley W. Chass at lakewebs.net
Tue Nov 20 09:57:10 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "hans kemper" <heidel12001 at yahoo.com>
To: <Ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 10:24 AM
Subject: [Ansteorra] newcomer thanks

> b. Also, Many have witnessed some enter the crown
> tournaments who do not have the financial means or
> time , etc. to fulfill the obligations required and
> yet they are allowed to participate by giving their
> word that they do. Some of these participants AND
> OTHERS have even used their influence to get
> themselves and their friends recognition (awards)
> which have not been earned. Where is the HONOR AND
> NOBILITY in this? And why is there not a means to both
> stop and rectify these situations when they arise?

Allow me to make a few points on this. One we are a honor based organization
and yes some people take advantage of that and lie/cheat to get things their
way. It happens everywhere and honestly there is little one can do about it.
If ti was fixable.. polatitions would be held liable for their campaign
promises etc. As for recognition and awards I have seen so few passed out I
can honestly say, just about only the king/queen would be able to influence
the awards and that is their right. Now look at the knights and look how
often (which isnt very often) a person is named Knight, that person has had
to proove themselves on the field of honor and been tested in battle. For
example the knight who while fighting with barbed spear would rip the
shields off of enemy Trimarian arms. He then took these shields and blazened
them with the Sable starr then took them to the camps of the enemy and
presented them in court. Was this not a deed worthy of notation? If prey
tell are just looking to nit pick you can do that to any organization. Play
as long as I have, no one plays for the awards.. they play for the Game and
for the love of the Game, the feeling of a battle hard won, the stories
around a camp fire while passing a bottle, all these things make up the
game... and yes there are some awards.. and some people are made
knights...but ask them Why do you do the SCA. More often than not the answer
will be "For the love of the Game". I am not getting onto you for asking
questions but trying to point out the sca isnt about awards, its about the
game. Plesant Partings,

Chass Brown aka Charinthalis Del Sans
Hospitaler/Minister of A&S Canton of Rundel
Owner Dwarvenhome Armory
www.dwarvenhome.com/dwarv1.html
Event Steward Margrave VIII