[Ansteorra] newcomer thanks

Lightfootcim at aol.com Lightfootcim at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 14:54:15 PST 2001

By now you must realize that you have touched off a flurry of opinions from many Ansteorrans. Emails, unfortunately only covey part of the message.  They only give you the words of a message.  Body language, tonality, expressions, etc. are lost.

I cannot and will not comment on the questions of how knighthood is awarded.  Not being a knight, I feel that is not my place.

However, on the issue how awards are given.  Unfortunately, you are correct in some situations.  Sometimes it is who you know, and not what you do that gets the award.  I am by no means saying that this is right.  MOST of the time, however awards are given based on what you do or have done in the past.  I have seen people work harder than hard for over seven years and never have seen an award while someone who has been in a much shorter time and has (in my opinion only) done alot less.  Please keep in mind something though.  While the Crown are the only persons who are able to give out the awards, they rely on the populace (for most awards) to show them who to give them to.  The Crown are only two people and they change every six months or so, and above all, they cannot be everywhere at once.  Therefore the populace needs to let them know who deserves what awards.

Also remember, no matter how unfair you think it may be for someone to get an award while someone doesn't, SOMEONE thought that person worthy enough (for whatever reason) and took the time to put them in for that award. To be fair, get to know the person who has just recieved the award.  Most of the time you will start to see why they got it.

Like people have said before, the Society is not perfect, but the Middle Ages weren't perfect either.

Honorable Lord John Lightfoot
Shire of Seawinds