[Ansteorra] newcomer thanks

Elisabeth B. Zakes ezakes at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 16:16:10 PST 2001

> a. almost exclusively, a knight in the time period
> which the SCA recreates, had to own a horse and had to
> be able to field that horse - it was one of the
> primary distinguishing characteristics of being a
> knight -

That all depends on your time period. In the Elizabethan period, which I
follow, people were knighted and given peerages for civil service. Sir
Francis Drake was knighted for his service to the Crown as a mariner and
adding to the kingdom's coffers. William Cecil Lord Burleigh was granted his
peerage for serving the crown as Principal Secretary and Lord Treasurer.
Neither of these positions required a horse. Knighthood in the SCA is a
peerage (which is why I cited both examples) that requires exceptional
fighting ability and the "bearing of a peer," among other requirements. The
"knighthood" that would be equivalent to Sir Francis' would be the Order of
the Pelican, also a peerage, which would fit both Sir Francis and Lord
Burleigh.

The *structure* of the SCA isn't period--far from it--but some of us try to
be period is certain aspects of our personal lives. Some do it more than
others, some less, but each to his own taste and financial ability.

If you want to make the SCA structure more period, I'd love to discuss it
with you. I'd also love to have Master Tadgh and Master Daniel in on that
discussion! :)

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad