[Ansteorra] Re: eating horses and cats, oh my

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:30:42 PST 2001

>    Well, what other meats were period to eat?

It depends on what time and place. Pork was probably the
most popular meat in Middle Ages Europe. But practically
everything was eaten. Horseflesh was and is still prized
in France. Venison, Rabbit, Chicken, practically any
fowl actually. Dormice were kept in cages for food since
the Roman occupation. Hedgehogs were sometimes eaten but
I don't think they were worth the trouble. Goat and Sheep
of course. Bear was eaten mainly in Germanic regions.

>Anything unusual from the sea?

See that thing? Let's eat it!

Whale, dolphin, cod, haddock, trout, seal, eels, shellfish,
lobster, crabs, bream, plaice, squid, octopus, seaweeds of
various types. I'm sure there are more but these are just
some that I have recipes for from various period sources or
at the very least mentions in menu lists.

And this is just for Europe. We won't even discuss Oriental,
American, African, and Arabic tastes.

>Colète

Allez Cuisine!

Gunthar