[Ansteorra] eating horses and cats, oh my

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Nov 26 08:13:08 PST 2001

It's surprising to me, considering the wide variety of other things
and creatures that were eaten in various places in the Middle Ages in
the cultures we study, but I've yet to see any evidence of any insects
being eaten, even in famine years. Nor, do I think I remember any
referances to eating snakes.

If someone has such evidence, I'd love to see it.

For those wondering what other strange critters might have been eaten,
check this file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
exotic-meats-msg  (73K)  9/21/01    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/exotic-meats-msg.html

Stefan li Rous