[Ansteorra] period angling (fishing)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Nov 26 14:46:52 PST 2001

Valstarr commented:
>    In the thoughts of edible meats I forgot the period nature of the
> topic; and as to fish (gar) item, perhaps partially a result of having
> been a general angler and reader in modern fishing times.

Is the gar native to North America? Or was it found in period Europe
as well?

>    I have a couple of translations (at least one fiirmly in period) that
> have period angling material...there was a lot of work that went into a
> mediveal angler's gear.

For those who might be interested in looking into this area further,
perhaps these files in the Florilegium might be of interest.
In the ANIMALS section:
Angling-art       (24K)  8/24/01    "A Historic Look at the Sport of
Angling" by
                                       Creador TwineDragon. Pennsic 26
class.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/Angling-art/Angling-art.html
fishing-msg       (18K)  9/ 4/01    Medieval fishing. Fish ponds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/fishing-msg.html

In the FOOD section:
Complet-Anglr-msg (14K)  5/26/00    Recipes from "Compleat Angler",
1653.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Complet-Anglr-msg.html

Perhaps at some event someone should have a fishing competition using
only period fishing equipment.

THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net