[Ansteorra] Period furs- long

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Nov 29 08:42:18 PST 2001

Alexandria Doyle wrote:
> > These examples of a slickish white fur *could* be a
> > depiction of rabbit but I find it unlikely due to the remarkable fragility
> > of rabbit skin on the whole and the implication of status that ermine in the
> > white brings.
>
> In the inventories of Queen Elizabeth, there are records of rabbit fur
> being used for linings and trimming for her gowns.  Sable, ermine and
> varieties of rabbit were the most common, also used were mink and
> squirrel, with lettice, lamb and wolf used infrequently.  There is also
> mention of sable being used for tippets which were worn around the neck
> and shoulders.

Thanks for the info, Alexandria.

But what is a "lettice"? I don't think it is something you put
in your salad... :-)

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

PS: I've seen lots of useful stuff on furs in the Middle Ages here
in the last few days. Much of which will be going into the
Florilegium. But if someone would like to write an article on the
use of furs in period, I'd like to have it, and I'm sure there are
others that would like to read it.