[Ansteorra] Stew Recipe needed....

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Oct 8 16:06:59 PDT 2001

Mistress Gunnora posted a link to a "Viking Stew":
> >Would anyone who has a good stew recipe that is period give me a yell. For
> >I keep hearing how "Potatoes" are not period lol.
>
> I have a Viking stew recipe at:
>
> http://www.vikinganswerlady.org/food.htm#ChickenStew

Gunnora, what is the source of this recipe or its redaction?

The main thing I'm wondering about is the Allspice, which I
understand to be a New World item.

Ok, if I've got things right, you indicate this source for this recipe:
> Fant, Michaël, Roger Lundgren and Thore Isaksson. Vikingars Gästabud
> (The Viking Feast. Danish.) Malmö: Richters Förlag. 1998.

But I can't tell if the original is in there, or just the
redaction or just the original and someone's translation. I'm
afraid I don't read Danish, even if I had access to the book.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net