[Ansteorra] Are Tartans Period?

Pem1968 at aol.com Pem1968 at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 19:19:09 PDT 2001

Greetings All!

I never imagined my jest would turn into such a informative string. I must
qualify my following statements by saying I have only done limited research
on the subject so in know way do I consider myself an expert on tartans. Also
I do not have my sources memorized but could relocate them again in a
relatively short time. What I have found is, while Clan Tartans are not
documented before 1600 (except for one and that one is debateable) regional
or district tartans did. There was, as far as I can tell, no organization to
the colors. The local weavers used the common dyes found locally. Ansteorra,
as a region, could use a tartan. The lone Clan that has evidence of a Tartan
is Clan MacLean. In 1587 and then again in 1592, one of the sept's cheif was
required to pay the MacLean in a wool cloth of black, green and silver. This
is proposed by some to be the Ancient Hunting Tartan of Clan MacLean. The
Clans' history supports this (of course it would) but I have also seen it so
documented in sources written by members of historically rival clans. I would
love to see others' sources/documentation to either prove or refute this as I
have a vested interest on the subject.

In service,

Malcolm MacLean
Late 16th Century Highlander