[Ansteorra] Bjornsborg Heros event

amberd at flash.net amberd at flash.net
Mon Oct 22 11:21:06 PDT 2001

THLord Stefan li Rous asked about feast:

>1) the wonderful cheese/olive spread.
Mistress Mari made the cheese.

>2) The chicken in white sauce.
Baroness Seraphina made the cream sauce; which was
basically milk, cream, eggs, butter and spices. I
don't know which ones. The chicken was boiled with bay
leaves, thyme, pepper and a few other spices. The rice
was cooked in the chicken stock.

>3) The rolled meat recipe. This was probably the best
> rolled meat dish that I've ever had, although the
> use of mono-filament fishing line rather than
> butchers string to tie the meat rolls was
> distracting as a modern intrusion and could cause
> problems.

Thank you for your compliment. The meat dish was based
on several rolled meat or  "Alows de Beef" dishes;
some from your files some from other internet
resources.

One was... http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/cook.htm

I read so many that it is hard to site one main one
and the final recipe was a compilation of all with
some improvisation thrown in during cooking.

Basically it was round steak, tenderized and spiced (I
have no idea what finally got added other than salt
and pepper but there were a few), spread with a thin
layer of stuffing made from sautéed mushrooms and
onions, bread crumbs, parsley, eggs and a bit of
ginger . Browned in olive oil and baked in water (with
a bit of beef bouillon).

> I assume this was a last minute, emergency
> substitution.

As for the string… it was heavy silk thread which was
the only thing we had at hand. Thicker cooking string
would have been easier to remove.

>Vivat to the headcook and the feast crew!

Thank you. Seraphina and I had some great help. I know
that the fact that we tended to improvise and estimate
quantities makes it hard to reproduce but it is the
way we cook and is probably closer to period cooking
than following recipes verbatum. ;-)

Amerinda, headcook
(Baroness Seraphina was my special ingredient for
making this such a great feast)