[Ansteorra] * Master Aldwin Longwalker / Richard Myrick *

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 14 08:58:44 PDT 2001

Please pass this on to SCA nets outside Atlantia:

Richard Myrick / Master Aldwin Longwalker, OP,
(AoA, Leaf of Merit, QOoG, Diamond Willow, Ivory Quatrefoil (priciple),
(West); Pelican, GoA, Light of Atenveldt, Queens Cypher (Atenveldt);
Feather of Artemisia, Pillar of Artemisia (Artemisia))
died last night very quickly of a massive heart attack.

Aldwin had been at the local Elvegast (Raleigh NC) weekly Thursday
night meeting and was quite happily conversing about things with
friends. After the meeting they all walked about a third of a mile
to Darryl's Restaurant at 1906 Hillsborough St. for dinner after
the meeting. It has long been a tradition here for some of the
meeting attendees to go to dinner afterwards. The local meeting
ended about 8:30 pm est, and Aldwin apparently died at about 9 pm.

Adwin made it into the entryway, reportedly said "I don't feel so
well" and collapsed or lay down in the entrance. He probably went
unconscious almost immediately. Apparently he lasted at most two
minutes. There were at least two primary care people in the restaurant
who immediately tried to resuscitate him. Aldwin's protegee and some
of his many friends were with him at the restaurant when he died.
Someone ran to a local fire station on the next street and he was
immediately carried to Rex Hospital about four miles away. I'm told
that as many as five e.m.t.s tried to revive him on the way to the
hospital. A number of the SCA were there at the hospital when his
parents later came and told them that Aldwin was dead.

Aldwin has lived with his parents again since he came to this area.
I last saw him a week or two ago at a local event. Aldwin
had romantic interest and was quite popular among the local
SCA. He'd made many friends here in the last two or three years
since he's been here. I'm told he had a good time at the last
Pennsic. He was always cheerful and helpful.

Those who did know him are greatly saddened. One said:
> "My heart is so heavy with sorrow.
> This morning I heard of the world's newest loss, that of a good
> man I never got to know well enough. I shall miss Aldwin
> Longwalker, who never lacked a tale to tell and who seemed to
> be friends with everyone. He is now part of the spirit that moves
> through all things. I bet he's already learning names."

That is as good a tribute as I think I could give knowing him
less well.

No funeral, no other contact or donation information has been
released at this time, just local phone calls and an announcement
to the local Barony of Windmasters's Hill (Central NC) copying
the Kingdom of Atlantia in general.

Suggestions were made that Master Aldwin would probably
have wanted people to donate money, or blood, to the American Red
Cross - especially at this time when they need it most.

His parent's address, where he lived, should you desire to send
sympathies or flowers is:
Myricks
5001 Elaine Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27616 USA

Two of the people who were with him last night called me this
morning and asked me to communicate with his friends elsewhere
since I'm on much wider nets than most of them. If something
important along other lines is communicated later I will notify you.
I apologize if this additional sadness makes this particular week
seem worse, but his many friends in other kingdoms need to know.

Master Magnus Malleus, OL, Windmasters' Hill, Atlantia, GDH.