[Ansteorra] Round Shields

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at mmcable.com
Sun Apr 7 19:07:46 PDT 2002

Question for those who do weapons and armor research, especially fighters:

Why did Vikings use round shields so much?

I've got a theory, but first the negatives.  Here are some of the reasons
why I think these northern Europeans would have picked a different shape:

Heaters and other shapes seem more effective in combat.
I understand that the average fighter finds a round shield to take more
effort than other shapes.
It seems that a square object is easier to build and less wasteful of wood
than a round object.

The clues that I have for my theory are the numerous accounts of single
combat in the sagas that mention chunks getting cut out of shields.  One of
the law books required one to take three shields with you to a holmgang
(duel), just because of this damage to the shield. Another clue is in the
design of the shields themselves with a rim of material around the edge.
And the last clue is in changes in SCA helmet design.

My theory is that the reinforced edge of a round shield was meant to deflect
a sword shot.  Real swords would skip off the edge of a round shield much
easier than SCA swords.  Over time we has seen the disappearance of the flat
topped helm in the SCA in favor of the round or bullet shape for much the
same reason.  A real sword would be expected by the fighter to cut into a
real shield and eventually into the fighter behind it.  This does not happen
in the SCA with rattan swords, so it is something we never worry about.

I'd be interested in playing with this theory a little bit, but some other
questions immediately come up.  Why did the round shield disappear?  Was
there a change in sword steel quality at the same time as its disappearance?
Was it a cultural assimilation thing?  Was it due to a change in military
tactics?  Is there something I'm overlooking here?

If someone has a few sources to help support the tenets of the theory or to
help answer the questions, I'd appreciate a little more info.

Thanks,
Ulf Gunnarsson, OL