[Ansteorra] Elfsea Mud I mean Springfair

Rhodes-walden, Jennifer Jennifer.Rhodes-walden at usa.xerox.com
Wed Apr 10 09:13:49 PDT 2002

Perhaps I might offer a different perspective on the use of the word
'troll,' not in the fantasy sense HL Stefan refers to, but with an alternate
definition of this 15th Century Middle English word.

Aside from referring to large, ponderous beasts and a means of fishing,
'troll' is originally defined as the following:

1.) to move around, to ramble
2.) to sing or play in a jovial manner
3.) to speak rapidly.

Tossing aside the usual thoughts of fishing and fantastic critters, 'troll'
could actually be used in a medieval sense! We do tend to play in a most
jovial manner, good gentles, not to mention move around in a rambling sense.
And if we have people at the entrance to our events who are doing precisely
that, doesn't that make 'troll' not only authentic, but justified?

Elysia
(...sophistry, I know, but valid sophistry!)