[Ansteorra] SCA slang

Theron Bretz tbretz at montroseclinic.org
Fri Apr 12 08:22:05 PDT 2002

> I believe that most of us fall somewhere in the
> middle between the "nazis" and the fantasy partiers.

Your Excellency.  Well said, although your phraseology raises a more general
question.  Why is it that those who are serious about history are called
Nazis?  This is not directed at you, it's a fairly common turn of phrase,
but one I find deeply disturbing and highly insulting .  It seems that
anyone who tries to enforce some modicum of authenticity or tries to enforce
the stated purpose of the Society is the moral equivalent to the people who
brought us the Holocaust?  And at the same time, the fantasy and beer crowd
are just harmless partygoers, Frat Boys out to have fun, until the bad old
Nazis told them to shape up.

If that's the way things are shaping up, we (the history crowd) can't
possibly win, and that's depressing.

Luciano Malatesta