[Ansteorra] SCA slang

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Fri Apr 12 09:13:30 PDT 2002

My tuppence,
    I agree with everyone on this. It is wonderful to try to recreate as
accurately as possible. But, four hundred years ago +, people didn't really
understand science and physics and many times explained away normal
phenomena
with magic and witchcraft. When I hear terms such as magic time pieces, it
makes some sense to me. I am sure some people believed in trolls,
leprechauns, and dragons.

>> My point to this is that these objects, such as watches, shouldn't be
seen or referenced. You can tell someone what time it is without
>> referencing a clock or watch. You can tell someone that you left a
message without referring to (cringe) an elfbox. Why reference
>> the mundane object. While it is true that medieval people explained what
was then unexplainable with superstition & magic, it was
>> also common for them to stone each other to death for heresies. While I
won't throw a rock at you if you tell me that rode a dragon
>> to the event, I will assume that you're a crazy person and may treat you
as such.

>> By the way, I love the usage of tuppence!

It is hard to keep all mundanity out of the society, and some people have
more trouble than others. I figure those are
the people who use most of the cutesy terms, doesn't bother me at all.

>> Its true that we can't keep all mundanity out of events, but its the lack
of effort that bothers me. Even the rank newbie at their first
>> event can take off their watch. If you've been to more than one event,
you shouldn't be wearing jeans and tennis shoes under your
>> T tunic and no one should leave their cars out in view (either by the
field or in their camps - if there is a parking lot that is out of
>> view.

 People who are most secure with their ability to play in persona don't seem
to use
as many. That doesn't bother me either. Different strokes for different
folks. It's all fun to me.

>> You know what it takes to be secure in your persona? Knowledge. That's
all that it takes. If you learn a little bit about who you are >> and when
you live, that knowledge give you the confidence to play your persona. I
swear that its just that simple. If anyone ever
>> wants to know more, please come and find me at an event and I'll be happy
to discuss theory and practice with you.

Pendaran,
Knight, Lion and all that jazz