[Ansteorra] The Journey (was SCA slang)

Lady Simone ui' Dunlaingh simone at elfsea.net
Fri Apr 12 12:53:40 PDT 2002

"If that's the way things are shaping up, we (the history crowd) can't
possibly win, and that's depressing."

It's not a win or lose competition I think, as more of a growing process.
We all start our Journey into the SCA for different reasons. We are a group
who's individuals comes from diverse social and economical backgrounds. We
all have one thing in common We each were introduced into the SCA and during
that introduction found an element of the SCA that became special for us.

For some it was the fighting, for others the arts, the costumes. the
history, the ability to serve, the unconditional acceptance by the people we
met, the tolerance shown by others, Seeing people living the Ideals of
honor, courtesy, and chivalry that we might have found missing in every day
life, socializing, the parties. The list could be increase at infinitum.
Regardless of what touched our Hearts. we each decided to Join in the dream
of the SCA and started our Journey into the current middle ages.

When I started my journey in the SCA I found a place were I was accepted
with all my faults, and fell in love with the fighting. I hated to read I
hated history and I had no Idea how to be a person of honor and integrity.
all these I learned over the years.
>From the "History crowd I learned to appreciate history and passed my first
history class because I no longer found it Boring.(hey I was 11). Having to
research what chivalry was opened my eyes to the wonders that I could only
find by reading a book. The artisans taught me new crafts I could do,I
stopped driving my mom nuts by saying I was Bored all the time I now had
something to do. and when my life turned upside down I had new friends that
helped me pick up the pieces.

Over the years I have grown in different areas in the SCA as I have grown up
in the real world. The Journey is a process of discovery one that takes us
from Mundanes to hopefully something better than we were when we started. We
learn to appreciate the history, the arts, the fighting, the service and the
 pageantry. We learn how to value the Ideal of the Society, The history of
the middle ages as well as the SCA history. Each of our individual talents,
skills assets and defects make up the Dream. how we chose to live and grow
in the dream makes up our own Journey.

We may not always get along or agree and that's OK. We may have very
contrasting opinions and that's OK to. on occasion we will cause offense to
someone that's part of life, and we can make amends for those times.
regardless of were we came from, what we do in the SCA we are all a part of
a wonderful group of people living a dream of the current middle ages. I for
one am grateful for you all even the ones I don't always agree with. for
without you there would not be an SCA as we know it today.

Lady Simone Maurian ui' Dunlaingh
simone at elfsea.net