[Ansteorra] The Journey (was SCA slang)

Rhodes-walden, Jennifer Jennifer.Rhodes-walden at usa.xerox.com
Fri Apr 12 13:56:07 PDT 2002

I've read over the various comments made by those who are well-established
(and well known) in the SCA. As a (fairly) newcomer, I've been exposed to
both stances - those who prefer to promote historical authenticity and those
who weave the Dream in their own unique way, shying away from those who are
vocal about their opinions. Until now, my comments remained quietly tucked
into my head, because I *am* a relative newcomer.

That being said, I've managed to pluck up my courage and offer my two pence
into the gentle fray. Please forgive the forthcoming speech from the
proverbial soapbox.

I joined the SCA for various reasons I'm not sure of, honestly. Certainly,
it was to meet like-minded people who enjoy re-enacting a fascinating period
in time, cherishing those ideas near and dear to my heart. Definitely, it
was a means of expanding my historical education - books can only teach you
so much. And it seemed like a wonderful way to spend my free time.

But for someone coming in off the street, the first few event(s) can be
overwhelming. Even if you have a historical or research background (which I
do), it is difficult to simply plunge into persona play, into accuracy, even
with research done. If you know few people, it's even more difficult. You're
so afraid of saying or doing the 'wrong thing' that you're reluctant to do
*anything.*

I.E., His Excellency Pendaran was very forgiving, even when I called him by
the *entirely* wrong name! (I'm still blushing over this one...)

This being the case, for all of you who favor authenticity out there...
allow me to ask you to take us under your wings. Help us, not only by
setting an example, but by showing us how a persona begins. I know His
Excellency Pendaran holds a persona class. Perhaps others who are equally
fervent in their pursuit of authenticated personas/play could be persuaded
as well. We, the newcomers, are eager to participate in the Dream, but many
of us simply don't know where to begin. Having a name and a neat set of garb
does not a persona make, as I have found out. Some of us are fascinated by
the high level of expertise you display in your play, but find approaching
that persona intimidating. I freely admit, I find it so, even after making
your acquaintances.

Maybe this might reduce the finger pointing and name calling that exists,
but shouldn't, in this fine game. As so many good gentles point out, we're
all here to have fun with history - each in their own special way.

In service to the Dream we love and stepping OFF the soapbox,

Elysia de Solares