[Ansteorra] Authenticity and Persona Play

Stephen Macthomas macthomas at ev1.net
Sat Apr 13 04:16:53 PDT 2002

Mistress Mari offered a splendid story which brought two points to mind.

First, I believe that any mundane event can be painted to richness through
our persona-tinted eyes.  I recently went on vacation and, though all of the
things I saw and did were absolutely mundane, they can be told through
persona play.  "As we first set foot in the city, we were welcomed by a good
gentle.  We asked the way to our inn, and he did not merely point the way;
for a few pence he took us there in his carriage.  It was a long, tiring
journey to the city and the ride was welcome."  (We landed at LaGuardia and
a driver asked where we were going.  We told him which hotel and he drove us
there in his Town Car - big and spacious after hours in an airplane.)

Secondly, every single one of us, from the most fervent members of the
Authenticity Police and Inauthenticity Police to everyone in between, all
participate in persona play, to whatever level they deem comfortable, and
have since the very first days we've walked down this path through the
Current Middle Ages.  How many of you remember being told "The first thing
you'll need to do is pick a name"?  How many of you have told a newcomer
those same words?  Mari's story clearly illustrated the only hard, fast rule
of persona play:  HAVE FUN.

Stephen

P.S.  In searching through my own larders just now, I discovered several
items with which to break my fast.  Mari, you are indeed wise, for that is
decidedly not the sauce for the ham.