[Ansteorra] RE: SCA slang

willow taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Sun Apr 14 22:27:57 PDT 2002

You have hit the nail on the head. People are always putting words in my
mouth. When I was in Merides I became some authenticity. monster. Long
time ago we thought everyone traveled at their own pace. We are all
seeking our own level. Joe loves painting so he does that absolutely
correct but he hates to do any kind of acting. Joe can tell you how to
make period paints but his clothes are horrid. Lady Margaret does great
costuming but she can hardly get the courtesies out. Lord Robert can spin
tales all night and knows most of the poetry Edda but can't tell you a
single thing about period siege engines. All of them have holes in their
knowledge but when they get together they share what they know and
everyone learns something, That is the basic concept behind the SCA. We
learn by trying to recreate. We learn by sharing, and doing, and
experiencing. We learn to appreciate each other.

Someone said that they stay in the SCA because of friends. During my 33
years in the SCA I have noticed a sad truth. People who are in the SCA
for the social context often get burned out and leave. People who are
also in the group to learn stay a lot longer. I also noticed if you tell
people that the purpose of the SCA is to make friends they often become
bitter when everyone in the group is not their friend. If I joined a
Bridge Club I wouldn't become upset if the people I played with didn't
become my buddies. I play the game of the SCA and while I think it
wonderful when I find friends in the club I am not upset if everyone
doesn't like me.