[Ansteorra] The Journey: A&S

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Wed Apr 17 12:04:07 PDT 2002

Pendaran's thoughts below

As a performer, while you perform, you see the reactions of your
audiences face. As a fighter, you win or loose against one fighter at a
time. In a static A&S you may or may not get to talk with the judge who
may or may not know as much as you do about what you are doing. Also
you are competing, like in bardic, against everyone at the same time.
It is a different type of competition.

>>Yes, A&S is a different kind of competition from fighting. Aside from
that, I'm having trouble
>> getting the point of this paragraph. (But then I've taken quite a few
shots to the head over the years.)

You are right, that A&S has changed much as we have grown as a society.
The problem is that we are not all as aged in the society as others.
When A&S is judged, we are judged against a masters skill. It would be
much like if I knew that every time I stepped onto the tourney field I
would draw you at your peek performance...why bother stepping on the
field other than for the sheer pleasure of getting my toosh wooped.

>> This is incorrect. People are asked for their level of expertise on the
judging form.
>> If you rate yourself as an expert, you'll be judged as one. If you rate
yourself as a novice
>> you'll be judged as one.

On the field, your weapons vary, in A&S although I can do stainglass or
calligraphy or weaving and so on, the battle is still faught with the
printed word. Very infrequently do the judges interview the
partisipants.

>> Aside from documentation, which is an (important) aspect of the A&S
competition, how is A&S fought
>> with the printed word? The battle is fought with the entry - that piece
of stained glass or calligraphy or weaving.
>> Its the quality of that entry that matters most. I also don't understand
why the judges should talk to the
>> artist while judging. I think that its very important to have a discourse
after the judging, but why during?
>> Please understand that I'm not trying to challenge or gainsay you, I'm
asking for your opinion so I can better understand
>> your argument and therefore your point of view.

Also, unlike combat, no one says you can not swing that way because it
can not be proven that people swong that way in period. I have been
told more than once that tatting is not period. It was started by the
egyptions 2000bc, but did not enter the household of the european rich
until after 1600ad, so "it is obviously not period." and there is no
research done to say what it was being used for in the 3600 years
between those dates.

>> I would suggest, then, that you take this particular issue to a few
Laurels and see what they have to say and whether or not
>> they have some helpful suggestions. Having lived with a Laurel for
several years, and having many Laurel friends, I've seen
>> many occasions where logical leaps are accepted if they are supported
with research that proves the lead is logical. If no
>> such leap can be made in your situation, then you can always display with
that particular art form rather than compete (since
>> you appear to be making an argument against competition with your post),
as I suggested in my last post.

authenticity is important in A&S. Knowledge is important in A&S. Skill
is important in A&S. and your ability to write about it all.

>> I couldn't agree more.

A&S is growing as the society grows, and much of it in a very good way.
Some aspects are old and we just keep polishing them up, when what
needs to happen is to have the system change...much like armor
standards change.

>> So what changes do you suggest be made to the system?

>> While I wouldn't suggest that the system is perfect (and what system
is?), I do think that it works pretty well, especially when the
>> those who participate in it follow the guidelines. For example, artists
are always supposed to see their judging sheets and judges
>> should make themselves available or give contact information for
discussion of the score & feedback. When these things are done I
>> think that the system works pretty well.

>> Of course, the bottom line is that if a person doesn't like to compete,
they can always enter their art as a display. I keep hearing
>> arguments for or against competition, why can't we just have both? Have
combined A&S displays/competitions. If you want to
>> be part of the competition, you enter the competition. If you don't want
to compete you just set out the display and there can
>> be cards that denote the entrants status. I don't see why we can't have
our cake and eat it too.

Pendaran