[Ansteorra] The Journey: A&S

Claryce Orfevre claryce at mmcable.com
Wed Apr 17 17:37:44 PDT 2002

>Not exactly.  What we've been trying for is a "dog show" type of judging. We're not basing your A&S score on >that of anyone around you, or how well/poorly others did.  We are *attempting*, within the limitation of each
>judge's very human and subjective understanding, to consider your item against a "Breed Standard" for whatever >type of thing it is.

If I could beg a boon of the laurelate, I would request that you *please* find another way to describe this style of judging for the Arts and Sciences competitions.  As someone who has done animal shows (in my case, horse shows as a child) this phrase conjures up several bad memories of trotting a stubborn horse around a field in 110 degree heat, while wearing a full 3 piece suit equivalent.

This phrase brings up a very vivid image to some, a vague image to others, and a very mundane image.  This may give an example of the judging style, but isn't there _any_ other, preferably more period *sounding* way of describing it??

Thank you,
Claryce Rapheal Orfevre
a little 'ole pelican that does a little A & S