[Ansteorra] A call to defend that most valued possession

SMACKTALKER SMACKTALKER at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 17 19:32:08 PDT 2002

Unto the Great Warriors of Ansteorra come these words from His Lordship Duncan of Skeene, known as Smacktalker, Huscarl of Calontir...

As some of you may have heard, there has been an uproar in the Kingdom of Calontir...A fight which puts brother against brother, Fyrdman against Huscarl. Since all diplomatic avenues have been pursued and failed, there is no other recourse than to take up arms on the field of Lillies War. (Smithville Lake, Missouri, June 8-16, 2002)

The Fyrdman have taken it upon themselves to try to hoard--nay, not hoard, but STEAL, one of the most valued possessions of a Huscarl--BEER. They believe that since there is more of them, they should receive a larger share of the beer in this kingdom. The Huscarls, having paid their dues behind the shield walls, fighting with ax, shield, and sword, have done honor to this Kingdom for many a season. We have carried not only our banner, but have helped other kingdoms, such as Ansteorra, elevate their flags upon the battle field.

Many a story has been told of the battle of Phaedra's gate, and I am pleased to recall that many of you were there beside us when that history was made. Just a few weeks later, at Gulf Wars, the Huscarls and the Calon Army helped Ansteorra to do what it had not done before--hold the castle.

Now...we ask your help. All of you that have stood beside a Huscarl during battle know our worth. Now, we ask you, our Ansteorran brothers and sisters, to help us in our time of need. The Fyrdman outnumber us nearly five to one. I know this, as I am the 111th Huscarl in the history of this kingdom, made just one year ago--at Estrella War XVII. In Ansteorra, there is a similar fighting order...the Centurions. I ask that every Centurion and every other able-bodied man and woman in the Kingdom of Ansteorra to travel north and heed this call.

As you are considering whether or not to make this trek, need I remind you of the immortal words which fell from the lips of one of your own honored Centurions at last Lillies War, "wood beam my head!" --Jean-Paul

 ----Duncan of Skeene, called Smacktalker,
Huscarl