[Ansteorra] Ten foot rule

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Wed Apr 17 20:49:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:39:40 -0500 Thora Olafsdottir
<thoraolafsdottir at juno.com> writes:
> What is this "ten foot rule" of which you speak?

        Back about 18 years ago, when I was a newbie, I was told that if
your gear could be mistaken for period gear at a range of ten feet, you
shouldn't HAVE to worry about it beyond that. Of course, if you wanted it
to be period down to the microscopic level, there were endless resources
available to help you learn how to make it so.
        I was also told that you should try very hard to make your stuff
at least conform to the ten foot rule, because anything obviously mundane
at a range greater than ten feet lent a jarring note to an otherwise
wonderfully medieval scene, thereby lessening the joy of the event for
everyone who saw it.
        Here all this time I thought it was something that EVERYONE knew.

Yours in Service,

      Iain MacCrimmon