[Ansteorra] Re: Authenticity/Ten Foot Rules

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 08:07:48 PDT 2002

From: Fitzmorgan at aol.com:
>As I recall the idea is to try and disguise mundanity so that it at
>least looks period from 10 feet away.  Some people have expressed the >10
>foot rule as "If it looks period from 10 feet away it's good enough.

>From: iainmacc at juno.com
>On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:39:40 -0500 Thora Olafsdottir
>Back about 18 years ago, when I was a newbie, I was told that if
>your gear could be mistaken for period gear at a range of ten feet, >you
>shouldn't HAVE to worry about it beyond that...

Whereas when I was taught the "ten foot rule" it was that if an expert (i.e.
someone who knows what they are looking at) couldn't discern from ten feet
away the inaccuracies, then it was ok (which meant that things like machine
sewing is fine, but you want to stick to accurate materials).

Obviously the term has some shades of nuance to it.

Marc/Diarmaid