[Ansteorra] The Journey: A&S

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Thu Apr 18 10:05:00 PDT 2002

Mahee said:

I have found both from judging and being judged that discussion with
the artisan or judge would have changed the points alotted. It also may
more accurately demonstrates how much a person knows about a subject,
because they can talk about it. The best A&S I judged the artisan
actually persona played what he would do and why through out the
judging and questioning.

If documentation is kept simple, people are more likely to enjoy doing
it. If you have to write a paper to explain every aspect of your
project, many people are less likely to enjoy it. And are more likely
going to be confused by it.

Pendaran's response:

I can certainly see the logic in the first paragraph, although I would lean
a bit more to the philosophy
that the documentation should speak for the piece. Still, that's a matter of
personal taste and Mahee makes
a very good point.

Regarding the second paragraph, I don't think that its as simple as Mahee
states. I think that the amount of documentation
needed and how much the judge is looking for is dependant upon a number of
factors. Everything from the personal taste of the
judge to the temperature & event location can effect how much a judge may
want to read. Someone may not want to read 10 pages if they're out in the
heat, while on the other hand, you may get a research fan who loves
documentation.  That's why I think that Gunnorra's suggestion of providing
long and short versions of your documentation is the way to go. Doing so
pretty much covers your bases regarding how much documentation to provide.