[Ansteorra] Rules, rules, rules, blah, blah, blah... (was 10' credibility tool Rewrite)

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Sun Apr 21 22:38:17 PDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:13:07 -0500 "HL Darcy" <darcy at seacove.net> writes:
> I think what we have here is a problem that something is being stated
> as a
> rule when it really isn't:  It's a guideline.  Yes, when I got in 20
> years
> ago I was told about the 10 foot rule.  But I soon realized that it
> is not a
> hard and fast rule.  It is a guideline that is open to the
> interpretation of
> the individual.  Its primary purpose is that things look good at
> events.
> That mundane articles be kept to a minimum.  I will not give up my
> modern
> ice chest.  I will make a cover to go over it.
>
> There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have a conniption fit
> over this.

        Good gentles, I honestly had not expected to start a anything
with this. Had I foreseen where it would lead, I might have kept my mouth
shut.
        When I was told about the "ten foot rule" I didn't even try to
get a precise definition of terms. I was, after all, bran' spankin' new
at this, and being already rather overwhelmed with the sheer volume of
things to see, do and learn, felt no need whatsoever to try to clarify
specifics. I figured to get the big picture first, and later examine
those parts that (for me) held more interest.
        I assumed from the first that it was called the "ten foot rule"
because "ten foot rule-of-thumb" is cumbersome. As it was explained to me
right at the beginning, it seemed obvious that the reason you tried to
observe the ten foot rule was not because it was not ALLOWED to flout it,
but rather because it was inconsiderate of others. It's fine to see the
SCA in whatever light you wish, just don't turn out the lights for the
folks around you.

        While I don't wish to seem belittling of the authenticity folks
or the partiers, in a practical sense I find myself not to be truly in
either camp. Yes, there are wonderful research and educational resources,
some of which I have used. Yes, it does better than any other group I
have seen at keeping research and education from being dry and dull. But
I can do research in other ways, and can educate myself in other ways as
well.
        Yes, the SCA is fun. It's fun in a particular style that is
uniquely suited to my attitudes about what constitutes an enjoyable
experience. But there are lots and lots of things I enjoy, and I really
expect I could manage to keep myself entertained had the SCA never
existed.
        The thing about the SCA that has made it something I REFUSE to
give up is simple and unique: It gives constant, enjoyable, ongoing
lessons in how personal honor and good manners are important, and have
value. Were that not true I believe that the primary discussions going on
right now on this list would have long since degenerated into mere flame
wars.
        And I believe that that's what the "ten foot rule" really is.
It's a reminder, a memory crutch. A simple way of saying, "Set a high
standard of behavior, of politeness, of consideration for others. They
are your brothers and sisters, and will be there for you when you need
them, so be there to help them enjoy what you are sharing. And no, you
don't owe them anything. You owe it to yourself."

      Yours in Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon