[Ansteorra] History/Enculturation/Clickishness....

Brian Martin BMartin at Corp.Prodigy.com
Mon Apr 22 14:16:31 PDT 2002

Innes Wrote:

One Step further,......
Make it a fun Circle,   One that everyone joins in,  perhaps not conducting
individuals so much as   doing one that everyone can join in .   The best
bardic circles that I can remember were the one that Maggie,  (Lady Majrie
Du
Bray ) (sp)  presided over.

there were no sad sad songs, done by only 1 person,  no one read from a
book,
(to me that is boring) anyone can read. Let the Bards who do want to
perform,
learn their pieces, and look people in the eye. not at a printed page,
Personally, I think that there is far to much of that going on.  sure have
notes.  single words or short phrases to jog your memory,  but not whole
pages to read.

Sing songs that most everyone knows, so they can join in.

Pendaran's response:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think that I've ever been to a
circle where folk weren't encouraged to join in, or where "conducted".
Everyone joining in is one of the points of bardic circles.

While I agree that its better for people to have things memorized, there are
so few people doing circles these days, that I don't mind people reading
from a page for a while if it gets them performing. I've also found that not
too many people know many of the old songs anymore. Perhaps with more
circles, more people can learn more songs/stories/poems. Anyone out there
feel like sponsoring a circle or two in the near future?

Pendaran