[Ansteorra] Feasts and Special Diets (was History/Enculturation/Cliquishness....)

alan kook drkook at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 22 20:18:00 PDT 2002

While I think attempting to accommodate someone's dietary needs at a feast
is commendable, it is not always possible.  I am very open to publishing the
ingredients for the feast dishes and let the individual make the decision
themselves. I can' t cook 200 separate dinners to please everyone.
  The main reason:  If the concern is a food allergy, there is always a
chance of cross contamination in the kitchen.. no matter how good one tries
to monitor everyone in the kitchen.. I've seen it happen too many times,
especially when it gets busy.  Also, I have cooked special dishes only to
have them go uneaten because those requesting the food either didn't show or
didn't ask for them at the event.

I am a firm believer in a person taking responsibility for themselves.
There is no way a cook preparing food for 200 + people can individualize the
dishes for each person. Granted that is a stretch but you get the picture.
There is enough to do getting out the feast let alone making additional
dishes for some people.  I am not averse to adjusting existing dishes, for
example. Using vegetable broth for chicken stock to make a dish vegetarian.
This can be eaten by everyone and no one will know the difference.   But,
making 2 separate recipes for the same dish is a lot of extra work.

just my 2 pesos..

Meadhbh